- Object Number: LDOSJ_C28_1
- Date: 1565
- Production: 1565
- Description: A description of the author's pilgrimage from Venice to Jerusalem, in Italian. Woodcut illustrations of cities along the route, and places of interest in and around Jerusalem.
- Additional Information: The book includes:
Illustrations of the most important ports, places of interest, and of the sacred sites in and around Jerusalem.
A list of provisions for the journey to the Holy Land, and advice on preparing for the journey.
A preface, and diary of the journey.
Distances between places/stops on the way to Jerusalem.
A list of parishes.
Some illustrations included are:
The procession on the Day of Corpus Christi, and ceremonial farewell to pilgrims in Venice.
Venice, Parenzi (Porenc), Pola (Pula), Zara (Zadar), Rhodes, Corfu, Modone (Methoni), Candia (Heraklio), Jerusalem, and the Church of the Holy Sepulchre.
Flora and fauna, including a camel, baboon, crocodile, unicorn, salamander, and fruit and palm trees.
Men, priests and pilgrims in Corfu, Candia, Rhodes and Jerusalem.
- Acquisition Method: Gift
- Acquisition Note: Francis Augustus Brooks
- Form or Iconography: Printing
- Form or Iconography: Paper
- Related People:
- Related Places:
- For more information contact: Museum of the Order of St John