- Object Number: LDOSJ_4008
- Date: 1237
- Subject date: 1237
- Production: 1850 - 1915
- Description: The head of St. John Baptist with legend around whole. Mounted on card with paper label.
- Additional Information: Cast of an original seal impression in British Library attached to Additional Charter 1552.
Delaville Le Roulx suggested that the manuscript and the seal attached was a 15th century imitation.
- Place: Museum of the Order of St John
- Acquisition Date: 1916
- Acquisition Method: Gift
- Acquisition Note: W. Barclay Squire, Esq.
- Inscription obverse: S'PRIORIS.HOS.....IERL'.ANGL'.
- Form or Iconography: Cast
- Form or Iconography: Plaster
- Form or Iconography: Wax
- Diameter: 47 mm
Author or Editor Type Title Page/Figure/Catalogue No. King, E.J. 1932 Literature Seals of the Order of St John of Jerusalem 99 Fincham, H. W. 1915 Literature Catalogue of the Museum at St.Johns Gate Birch, Walter de Gray 1887 Literature Catalogue of seals in the Department of manuscripts in the British Museum 856 Delaville Le Roulx, J. 1881 Literature 'Des sceaux des prieurs anglais de l'Ordre de l'Hôpital aux XIIe et XIIIe siècles' in Mélanges d'archéologie et d'histoire 380
- Related People:
- For more information contact: Museum of the Order of St John
Museum of the Order of St John and the University of Birmingham 2016