- Object Number: LDOSJ_2016_13
- Date: 1250 - 1299
- Production: 1250 - 1299
- Description: An octagonal stone font basin, lead lined. The vertical edge of each face is decorated with a simple pilaster. Supported on a 20th century stone pedestal.
- Additional Information: Originally from the St John Commandery Church of Hogshaw in Buckinghamshire, this font basin was removed from this site to the garden of nearby Fulbrook Farm.
This font can best be compared with plain octagonal examples at Hadleigh (Essex), Gatton and Etchingham. The pilasters at each vertical edge are more comparable with a late fourteenth-century font at Hadleigh (Suffolk).
The stone pedestal was designed by Lord Mottistone of Seely and Paget architects, following research to ensure the style was appropriate to the period of the font basin.
- Place: Museum of the Order of St John
- Acquisition Date: 1960
- Acquisition Method: Gift
- Acquisition Note: Corpus Christi College, Oxford [landlords of Fulbrook Farm, Bucks]
- Form or Iconography: Stone
- Form or Iconography: Lead
- Object size: 870 x 425 mm
Author or Editor Type Title Page/Figure/Catalogue No. Bond, F. 1908 Literature Fonts and Font Covers 218, 219, 226
- Related People:
- For more information contact: Museum of the Order of St John
Museum of the Order of St John and the University of Birmingham 2016